History

Originally founded as the Hope Center for the Retarded, Inc., services began in 1958 through efforts of the Charleston Civitans and The Council for the Retarded Children of Charleston.

1974

The SC General Assembly created the Mental Retardation Board of Charleston County to coordinate and administer services to people with mental retardation and related disabilities.

The Mental Retardation Board of Charleston County assumed operation of the Hope Center for the Retarded, Inc., a sheltered workshop for persons with developmental disabilities which had 35 employees and 10 vehicles.

1988

1993

The agency was renamed the Disabilities Board of Charleston County. It assumed the operations of the Charles Webb Center, began serving individuals on the autism spectrum and became one of four providers across the state of South Carolina asked to provide programs for Head and Spinal Cord Injury (HASCI).

The agency moved its administrative offices to the current location at 995 Morrison Drive. Today, our community-based agency serves nearly 2,000 individuals with intellectual disabilities, head injuries, spinal cord injuries, autism and other related disabilities.

1997

TODAY

We employ almost 450 employees, have a budget of over $26 million annually, and operate a fleet of 116 vehicles that travels over 250,000 miles each month.

Disabilities Board of Charleston County